Florence Alice Hamshaw (1896-1952)
Florence Alice Hamshaw (1896-1952) was born on 12th June 1896, and her birth registered on
17th July 1896 [1896Q3 Lambeth Vol: 1d, Page: 406],
at 16 Luscombe Street Wandsworth London to parents Sydney Charles Hamshaw (a Railway Porter)
and Marian Hamshaw formerly Lee. Her death is recorded in 1952 as Florence Alice Murgatroyd aged 55
[1952Q2 Solihull Vol: 9c, Page: 813].
John Edward Hamshaw married Mary Ann Lily Duncan on 31 Aug 1823 at Holy Trinity, Gosport,
Hampshire, England - IGI Parish record.
Mary Duncan was christened on 26 May 1799 at Saint John, Portsea, Hampshire, England
to parents Duncan Duncan and Mary ?? - IGI Parish record.
John Edward Hamshaw a Shoemaker died aged 50 [1839Q3 Portsea Vol:7, Page: 99] on 6th August 1839 at
117 High Street Portsmouth. The informant was George Dilly? who signed with a X and not a
family member. We deduce his birth as c1789?
Sydney Edward Hamshaw was christened on 15 June 1831 at Saint Thomas, Portsmouth, Hampshire, England to
parents John Edward Hamshaw and Mary Ann Duncan-Hamshaw - IGI Parish record.
In the 1841 census [HO107/412 Folio: 19, Page: 9] at High Street Portsmouth resided:
- Mary A Hanshaw age 40 Shoe Maker not of this parish
- Miranda A Hanshaw age 18 of this parish - born 29 Sept 1825, Christened 23 Oct 1825 at
High Street-Presbyterian Or Unitarian, Portsmouth, Hampshire, England and also at
Saint Thomas, Portsmouth, Hampshire, England on 13 Nov 1825.
She married John Scott on 29 Apr 1845 in Newchurch, Hampshire, England,
but is recorded as a widow in the 1851 census. John Scott died [1849Q1 Christchurch Vol: 8, Page: 124]
- Sidney Hanshaw age 8 of this parish - christened on 15 June 1831 at Saint Thomas,
Portsmouth, Hampshire, England.
- Slara A Haneshaw age 7 of this parish
In the 1851 census [HO107/1658 Folio: 583, Page: 9] at 91 High Street Portsmouth there are included:
- William Frake Head Mar age 45 Confectioner Employer born London
- Sidney Hanshaw age 20 Apprentice born Hants Portsmouth
In the 1851 census [HO107/1658 Folio: 620, Page: 10] at St Thomas St. Portsmouth resided:
- Mary Ann Hamshaw Head Wid age 49 Lodging House Keeper born K N
- Miranda Scott Daur Wid age 25 born Hants Portsmouth
- Clara A Hamshaw Daur age 18 born Hants Portsmouth
- Fanny Scott Granddaughter age 7 born Hants Portsmouth
- Georgina Scott Granddaughter age 3m born Hants Portsmouth
- Elizebeth Thornton Lodger Mar age 33 born K N
In the 1851 census [HO107/1669 Folio: 947, Page: 18] at Southampton resided:
- Charles W Gordon Head Mar age 48 Butcher born Hants Lymington
- Mary Ann Gordon Wife age 40 born Dorset Weymouth
- Mary Ann Gordon Daur age 21 born Southampton
- Caroline Gordon Daur age 20 born Southampton
- Samuel Gordon Son age 16 born Southampton
- Elizabeth E Gordon Daur age 13 born Southampton
- William J H Gordon Son age 11 born Southampton
- John Edward Gordon Son age 9 born Southampton
- Martha Gordon Daur age 7 born Southampton
- Alfred D Gordon Son age 5 born Southampton
- Louisa Gordon Daur age 3 born Southampton
- Fanny M Gordon Daur age 1 born Southampton
In 1853Q3 Sydney Edward Hamshaw (c1831-??) and Mary Ann Gordon-Hamshaw(c1831-??) were married
in Portsea Island Hampshire [1853Q3 Portsea Vol: 3b, Page: 640].
In the 1861 census [RG9/691 Folio: 93, Page: 3] at resided:
- Sydney Hamshaw Head Mar age 30 Cook (Profefred) born Hants Portsmouth
- Mary A Hamshaw Wife age 31 born Hants Southampton
- Sydney C Hamshaw Son age 7 born Hants Portsmouth
- Fanny L Hamshaw Daur age 4 born Hants Winchester
- Caroline E Hamshaw Daur age 1 born Hants Winchester
- Caroline Dumna Mar age 30 born Hants Southampton
- Caroline L Dumna age 4 born Hants Southampton
In the 1871 census [RG10/1437 Folio: 105, Page: 5] (incorrect surname transcribed in ancestry.com)at 3 Bath Place Holywell Oxford resided:
- Sydney E Hamshaw Head Mar age 40 College Cook born Portsmouth Hants
- Maryann Hamshaw Wife born Southampton Hants
- Sydney C Hamshaw Son age 17 scholar born Poertsmouth Hants
- Fanny L Hamshaw Daur age 14 scholar born Winchester Hants
- Caroline E Hamshaw Daur age 12 scholar born Winchester Hants
In the 1881 census [RG11/1497 Folio: 112, Page: 7] at 220 Cowley Road Oxford resided:
- Sydney Edd Hamshaw Head Mar age 50 College Cook Dom born Hants Portsmouth
- Mary A Hamshaw Wife age 50 born Hants Southampton born Hants Southampton
- Sydney C Hamshaw Son age 27 Cooks Son(Asst Dom Cook) born Hants Portsmouth
- Fanny L Hamshaw Daur age 24 born Hants Winchester
Sydney Charles Hamshaw married Marian Lee [1888Q1 St Olave Vol: 1d, Page: 351].
Sydney Edward Hamshaw died aged 58 in Headington Buckinghamshire [1890Q4 Headington Vol: 3a, Page: 486].
In the 1891 census [RG12/400 Folio: 85, Page: 34] at 7 Alfred Cottages Lambeth London resided:
- Sydney Hamshaw Head Mar age 37 Railway Porter born Hants Portsmouth
- Marion Hamshaw Wife age 34 born London Rotherhithe
- Minnie Hamshaw Daur age 2 born Kent Deptford
- Sydney Hamshaw Son age 1 born Kent Deptford
In the 1901 census [RG13/418 Folio: 22, Page: 35] (incorrectly recorded as Hamshan)at 29a Crimsworth Rd Lambeth resided:
Florence Hamshaw is believed to have been secretary to an Advertising Agency in Fleet Street
whose partners included
Arthur Haley Murgatroyd (1871-1946) before he left his wife
Alice Emma Dewhirst-Murgatroyd (1873-1949) and setup home with her.
- Sidney Hamshan Widr age 47 Railway worker born Hants Portsmouth
- Minnie Hamshan Daur age 12 born London
- Bertie Hamshan Son age 8 born London
- Florrie Hamshan Daur age 5 born London
The family included:
- Arthur Haley Murgatroyd (1871-1946)
- Florence Alice Hamshaw born [1896Q3 Lambeth Vol:1d, Page:406].
Arthur Hamshaw Murgatroyd (1917Q4-Jan1992) born:[1917Q4 Lambeth Vol:1d, Page: 545],
Dennis Sydney Murgatroyd (19/5/1920-5/1985) born:[1920Q2 Lambeth Vol:1d, Page: 1016],
died:[May 1985 Lewes Sussex]
Rita Olive Murgatroyd (1923-) [1923Q3 Lambeth Vol: 1d, Page: 664]
Iris Marguerite Murgatroyd (3/1/1925-3/1998) born:[1925Q1 Lambeth Vol: 1d, Page: 611],
died:[March 1998 Birmingham Warwickshire]
Paul John Murgatroyd (1928-Jan2009) [1928Q1 Hendon Vol: 3a, Page: 590].
Arthur, Rita, Iris, Paul, Dennis.
The 1952 Electoral Register for Harrow Wealdstone N.Ward Polling district C
for 301 Byron Road - No Murgatroyd's at this address
The 1947 Electoral Register for Harrow Wealdstone N.Ward Polling district C
301 Byron Road - Arthur H Murgatroyd
The 1945 Electoral Register for Harrow Belmont West Polling district C Wealdstone N.Ward
for 301 Byron Road - Arthur H Murgatroyd, Iris M Murgatroyd but no mention of
Florence Alice Murgatroyd (sic)
The 1939 Electoral Register for Harrow Wealdstone N.Ward Polling district C
for 301 Byron Road - Arthur H Murgatroyd, Florence Alice Murgatroyd (sic), Arthur Hamshaw Murgatroyd
The 1937 Electoral Register for Harrow Wealdstone N.Ward Polling district C
for 301 Byron Road - Arthur H Murgatroyd, Florence Alice Murgatroyd (sic)
The 1935 Electoral Register for Harrow Wealdstone N.Ward Polling district GX
for 301 Byron Road - Arthur H Murgatroyd, Florence Alice Murgatroyd (sic)
Marriages found in BMD:
- Dennis Sidney Murgatroyd to Gwen Reeves [1946Q4 Uxbridge Vol: 5f, Page: 874]
- Iris Marguerite Murgatroyd to Laurence Alfred Dyer [1947Q3 Wallingford Vol: 6a, Page: 408]
- Rita Olive Murgatroyd to Harry Webster on 22/5/48 [1948Q2 Harrow Vol: 5f, Page: 866]
- Arthur Hamshaw Murgatroyd to Jean Sidebotham on 20/8/49 [1949Q3 Willesden Vol: 5f, Page: 589]
- Paul John Murgatroyd [1928Q1 Hendon Vol: 3a, Page: 590] married Janice Woollard
Arthur Haley as a young man
Florence Alice Hamshaw's parents were
Sydney Charles Hamshaw (1854-??) and Marian Lee-Hamshaw(1857-??) who were
married in 1888Q1.
Her grandparents were
Sydney Edward Hamshaw (1831-1890) and Mary Ann Gordon-Hamshaw(c1831-??) who were married
in 1853Q3 in Portsea Island Hampshire [1853Q3 Portsea Vol: 3b, Page: 640].
Her great grandparents were
John Edward Hamshaw (c1780-1839) and Mary Ann Duncan(c1801-??) who
were married on 31 Aug 1823 in Gosport Hampshire.