John Edward Hamshaw (c1780-1839)
John Edward Hamshaw (c1780-1839) was born possibly in Westminster London or Hampshire? The location
and date are not certain/ verified. The British Isles Vital Records Index includes the following record:
John Edward Hamshaw born 26 Jun 1781 and christened 23 Jul 1781 at St James Westminster London
with parents John Hamshaw and Mary.
John Edward Hamshaw married Mary Ann Lilly Duncan (a widow) on 31 Aug 1823 at Holy Trinity, Gosport,
Hampshire, England - IGI Parish record.
John Grey Duncan was baptised 14 Feb 1790; John Duncan married Mary Ann Hunt on 28 Feb 1815.
James Duncan was buried in 1819.
John Edward Hamshaw a Shoemaker died with a given age of 50 [1839Q3 Portsea Vol:7, Page: 99]
on 6th August 1839 at 117 High Street Portsmouth. The informant was George Duncan who signed
with a X and was probably his wife's former father-in-law. We deduce John Edward's birth as c1789?
They had children including:
- Miranda A Hanshaw(1825-??) Daur born 29th September 1825 and originally christened at
Portsmouth High Street Presbyterian Chapel on 23rd October 1825,
and baptised on 13 Nov 1825 at Portsmouth St Thomas.
- Eglantine Hamishaw Daur born 5th November 1827 and originally christened at Portsmouth High Street
Presbyterian Chapel on 9th December 1827,
and baptised 16 Dec 1827 at Portsmouth St Thomas.
She died on Apr 26 1831
Sydney Edward Hamshaw (1831-1890) Son NOT christened at Portsmouth High Street Presbyterian
but baptised on 15 Jun 1831 at Portsmouth St Thomas
- Clara Ann Haneshaw(c1834-??) Daur NOT christened at Portsmouth High Street Presbyterian
but baptised on 3 Mar 1833 at Portsmouth St Thomas
- Rodney George Hamishaw(1836-1839) Son born 5 Dec 1836 NOT originally christened at Portsmouth High Street
Presbyterian, but baptised on 12 Feb 1837 at Saint Thomas,
Portsmouth, Hampshire, England
to parents John Edward Hamshaw and Mary Ann. Rodney George Hamshaw died on 2 Aug 1839
[1839Q3 Hamshaw Rodney George Portsea Is VII 98].
The Monumental Inscription is recorded for Hamishaw at the Priory Church of St.Mary, Portchester
Priory Church of St.Mary, Portchester – MIs recorded in same grave
Eglandine dau of John Edward & Mary Ann Hamishaw b 5 Nov 1827 d Apr 26 1831
John Edward Hamishaw Father of above b 1787 d Aug 6 1839
Rodney George Hamishaw b Dec 5 1836 d Aug 2 1839
In the 1841 census [HO107/412 Folio: 19, Page: 9] at High Street Portsmouth resided:
- Mary A Hanshaw age 40 Shoe Maker not of this parish
- Miranda A Hanshaw age 18 of this parish - born 29 Sept 1825, Christened 23 Oct 1825 at
High Street-Presbyterian Or Unitarian, Portsmouth, Hampshire, England and also at
Saint Thomas, Portsmouth, Hampshire, England on 13 Nov 1825.
She married John Scott on 29 Apr 1845 in Newchurch, Hampshire, England,
but is recorded as a widow in the 1851 census. John Scott died [1849Q1 Christchurch Vol: 8, Page: 124]
- Sidney Hanshaw age 8 of this parish - christened on 15 June 1831 at Saint Thomas,
Portsmouth, Hampshire, England.
- Slara(sic) A Haneshaw age 7 of this parish
In the 1851 census [HO107/1658 Folio: 583, Page: 9] at 91 High Street Portsmouth there are included:
- William Frake Head Mar age 45 Confectioner Employer born London
- Sidney Hanshaw age 20 Apprentice born Hants Portsmouth
In the 1851 census [HO107/1658 Folio: 620, Page: 10] at St Thomas St. Portsmouth resided:
- Mary Ann Hamshaw Head Wid age 49 Lodging House Keeper born K N
- Miranda Scott Daur Wid age 25 born Hants Portsmouth
- Clara A Hamshaw Daur age 18 born Hants Portsmouth
- Fanny Scott Granddaughter age 7 born Hants Portsmouth
- Georgina Scott Granddaughter age 3m born Hants Portsmouth
- Elizebeth Thornton Lodger Mar age 33 born K N
John Edward Hamshaw's parents are as yet unidentified.