William R Metcalfe (c1811-1899)
William R Metcalfe (1811-1899) was born on 4th September 1811, baptised at St George in
the East on 13 October 1811. Possible marriages include:
- plausible William Metcalfe to Mary Green on 15 February 1828
at St Bride, Fleet Street, London
- unlikely William Metcalfe (Mariner) to Sarah Smith(c1821-??) 14 July 1846 at Church of St Leonard, Foster Lane London
[1846Q3 London Vol: II Page: 121]. Fathers:- Richard Metcalfe (Druggist) and James Smith (Exciseman),
witnesses:- George Smith and Rebecca Smith.
- confirmed William Metcalfe to
Henrietta Louisa Thorpe-Metcalfe (1844-??) stated age 24 living at 22 Jubilee Street
on 17 May 1864 in Stepney Parish church. Their stated fathers were Robert Metcalfe (Baker)
and Charles Thorpe (Carpenter). His address was 7 Garden Street, Stepney.
In the 1841 census[HO107/705/7] at High Street, Hoxton Shoreditch there are recorded:
- William Metcalf age 30 Ginger Beer maker born in this county
- Mary Metcalf age 25 born in this county
- Emma Metcalf age 6 born in this county
In the 1851 census[HO107/1544, Folio: 5, Page: 3] at 25 Brick Lane Spitalfields, Tower Hamlets there resided:
- William Metcalfe Head Mar age 45 Fishmonger born Middlesex
- Mary Metcalfe Wife age 45 born Kent
- Emma Metcalfe Daughter single age 16 born Middx
- Henry Magg Servant age 22 General Servt born Middx
- John Midling age 19 General Servt born Middx
- John Dunn age 9 General Servt born Middx
In the 1861 census no record has yet been identified.
From his marriage to Henrietta in 1864, they had children including:
Henrietta Susan Metcalf (1865-1947) born Shoreditch London UK
confirmed as Henrietta Susan Medcalf [1865Q2 Bethnal Green Vol: 1c, Page: 245]
to parents William Medcalf a Baker and Henrietta Thorpe-Medcalf..
- William C Metcalf (1868-??)
NOT William Charles Medcalf [1868Q2 Kensington Vol: 1a, Page: 31].
- Amelia Elston (nee Metcalfe)
(1875-1961) born 11 July 1875 Hoxton Middx at 157 Saint Johns Road Hoxton Middx
[1875Q3 Shoreditch Vol: 1c, Page: 113] to William Metcalfe, a Muffin Baker and Henrietta Thorpe-Metcalfe.
In the 1871 census[RG10/443, Folio: 12, Page: 15] living at 69 Paul Street Shoreditch were:
- William Metcalf Head aged 62 Ginger Beer Maker born Middx City of London
- Henrietta Metcalf Wife aged 26 born Middx City of London
- Henrietta Metcalf Daughter aged 6 Scholar born Middx Shoreditch
- William C Metcalf Son aged 3 born Middx Shoreditch
In the subsequent census the possible records so far found for the family are perplexing:
1881 census William Metcalf [RG11/1010 Folio: 16, Page: 25] aged 14
a patient employed in cardboard manufacture at
St Andrews Convalescent Home in Folkestone, Kent.
1881 census Amelia Metcalf has yet to be discovered.
1881 census Henrietta Metcalfe
1881 census William Metcalfe [RG11/423 Folio: 97, Page: 5]
at the Bethnal Green Workhouse resided William Medcalf Mar age 70 Mineral Water Man'f
born Middx Bethnal Green
In the 1891 census [RG12/305 Vol: 7, Page: 5] at 25 Trinity Almshouses, Mile End Old Town, London
there are recorded:
- Wm R Metcalfe Head Widower age 78 born London Poplar
- Jane E Stennet Servant Single age 32 Nurse born London Stepney
He died in 1899 aged 88 in Mile End [Mile End 1899Q3 Vol: 1c, Page: 356]
His parents were
Robert Metcalfe (1773-??) (a Baker), and
Sarah Grant-Metcalfe (1777-??).
William R Metcalfe was my great great grandfather.