Ann Deighton Murgatroyd (1867-1943)
The photo of Annie and Emily we think shows Annie on the RIGHT.
Ann Deighton Murgatroyd (1867-1943) was born in 1867 [1867Q2 Bradford, Vol: 9b, Page: 203].
As a spinster (given age of 25) and
Dressmaker she married
Henry J Hood (1877-1950), a bachelor aged 19 and Grocer Master of Street Houses
Carleton, Skipton at the Register Office by Licence on 10th October 1896
[1896Q4 Skipton Vol: 9a, Page: 80]. Her address is also given as Street Houses Carleton.
The two fathers are given as James Hood a Police Constable and
Henry Albert Murgatroyd an Auctioneer. The witnesses were not of either family.
In the 1871 census at 113 Briggate Idle there are recorded:
- Henry A Murgatroyd Head Mar age 27 Auctioneer born Yorkshire Idle
- Mary Murgatroyd Wife age 32 born Yorkshire Bradford
- Ann D Murgatroyd Daur age 4 born Yorkshire Idle
- Emily P Murgatroyd Daur age 2 born Yorkshire Idle
In the 1881 census at 192 Briggate Idle Yorks [RG11-4479/10] are recorded:
- Nanny Murgatroyd Widow aged 62 Annuitant born Windhill Yorkshire
who is of course Ann Parker-Murgatroyd (1818-1897)
and at 192A Briggate, Idle, York [RG11-4479/10] are recorded:
- John Murgatroyd Head aged 25 Joiner born Windhill Yorkshire
who was a younger son of "Nanny" Murgatroyd.
- Martha Murgatroyd Wife aged 25 born Shipley Yorkshire
- Mary Jane Murgatroyd Daur aged 4 Scholar born Windhill Yorkshire
- Henry Albert Murgatroyd Other aged 37 born Windhill Idle Yorkshire
N.B. This entry crossed out.
- Ann Deighton Murgatroyd Daur aged 14 Annuitant born Windhill Yorkshire
- Emily Parker Murgatroyd Daur aged 12 Annuitant born Windhill Yorkshire
- Arthur Haley Murgatroyd Son aged 10 Annuitant born Windhill Yorkshire
- Alice Mary Murgatroyd Daur aged 8 Annuitant born Windhill Yorkshire
In the 1891 census at 126 & 128 Briggate Idle Windhillare recorded:
- Henry A Murgatroyd Head Widr aged 47 Broker Yorkshire, Windhill
- Ann D Murgatroyd Daur Single aged 24 Dress Maker Yorkshire, Windhill
- Emily P Murgatroyd Daur Single aged 22 Yorkshire, Windhill
- Arthur H Murgatroyd Son Single aged 19 Clerk in Daily Paper Yorkshire, Windhill
- Alice M Murgatroyd Daur Single aged 17 Pupil Teacher Yorkshire, Shipley
- Nanny Murgatroyd Mother Wid aged 72 Yorkshire, Windhill
In the 1901 census [RG13/4029, Folio 29, Page 14] at 7 Aireside Terrace Cononley Skipton are recorded:
- Hy James Hood Head Mar aged 23 Grocers Assistant born Hebron Morpeth Northumberland
- Ann Deighton Hood Wife Mar aged 30 born Shipley Bradford Yorks.
In the 1911 census at Palmers venue, Water Lanr, Knaresborough Yorkshire England there resided:
- John Hudson Head age 36 Married Electrical Engineer employed on own account born Manningham Yorks
- Alice Mary Hudson Wife age 37 Married 13years 4 children of whom 2 alive born Shipley Yorks
- Dorothy Hudson Daur age 7 born Bradford Yorks
- Gwendoline Adela Hudson Daur age 5 born Harrogate Yorks
- Mary Elizabeth Hudson Sister age 23 Single born Thackley Yorks
- Annie Murgatroyd Relative age 40 Dressmaker Worker born Shipley Yorks
The photo we think shows Annie with a child. She died at 29 Peterborough Terrace, Bradford
on 10 Dec 1943 aged 76 [Ann Deighton HOOD formerly MURGATROYD - 1943Q4 Bradford Vol:9b, Page: 193].
She is described as "Wife of Henry James Hood a Master Grocer".
The informant was her niece
Edith May Woffenden (1903-1985) who was present at the death.
Her parents were
Henry Albert Murgatroyd (1844-1918) and
Mary Jane Haley-Murgatroyd(1839-1875).