Henry Albert Murgatroyd (1844-1918)
Henry Albert Murgatroyd (1844-1918) was born in Windhill, Idle in Yorkshire on 29th
February 1844. Henry Albert Murgatroyd was engaged to Ann Bland but they quarrelled
(allegedly) because she said he spoke to the Mill folk. HA then met Mary Jane Haley on
the rebound at an 1865 garden party. The day after he called on her father. He found he
had been at school with her brothers. Ann Bland never married [was this poetic justice?].
Henry Albert married
Mary Jane Haley-Murgatroyd (1839-1875) on 2nd May 1866 in Bradford, Yorkshire.
They had four children:
and lived at 6 Spring Bank Shipley. After Mary Jane's death the family removed to
Briggate where the children were looked after by their grandmother Nanny Parker.
During his life he was a Grocer, a Tea-dealer and later an Auctioneer.
In the 1851 census[HO107/2312 Folio: 279, Page: 7] at Windhill Crag Idle there resided:
- John Murgatroyd Head Mar age 33 Cloth Manufacturer employing 5 men born Yorkshire Idle
- Ann Murgatroyd Wife age 32 born Yorkshire Idle
- James J Mugatroyd son age 9 Scholar born Yorkshire Idle
- Henry A Murgatroyd son age 7 Scholar born Yorkshire Idle
- Seth Murgatroyd son age 1? born Yorkshire Idle
In the 1861 census[RG9/3342 Folio: 15, Page: 24] at Park Lodge Idle there resided:
- John Murgatroyd Head Mar age 43 Cloth Manufacturer and Farmer born Yorks Calverley
- Nanny Murgatroyd Wife age 42 Cloth Manufacturer and Farmer born Yorks Calverley
- Henry A Murgatroyd son age 17 Cloth Manufacturer and Farmer born Yorks Calverley
- John Murgatroyd son age 5 born Yorkshire Calverley
- Hannah Swaine neice Un age 24 Dressmaker born Yorkshire Calverley
- Sarah A Parker cousin Un age 13 servant born Yorkshire Calverley
In the 1871 census[RG10/4502 Folio: 46, Page: 21] at 113 Briggate Idle there are recorded:
- Henry A Murgatroyd Head Mar age 27 Auctioneer born Yorkshire Idle
- Mary Murgatroyd Wife age 32 born Yorkshire Bradford
- Ann D Murgatroyd Daur age 4 born Yorkshire Idle
- Emily P Murgatroyd Daur age 2 born Yorkshire Idle
In the 1881 census at 192 Briggate Idle Yorks [RG11/4479 Folio: 10, Page: 13] are recorded:
- Nanny Murgatroyd Widow aged 62 Annuitant born Windhill Yorkshire
who is of course Ann Parker-Murgatroyd (1818-1897)
and at 192A Briggate, Idle, York [RG11-4479/10] are recorded:
- John Murgatroyd Head aged 25 Joiner born Windhill Yorkshire
who was a younger son of "Nanny" Murgatroyd.
- Martha Murgatroyd Wife aged 25 born Shipley Yorkshire
- Mary Jane Murgatroyd Daur aged 4 Scholar born Windhill Yorkshire
- Henry Albert Murgatroyd Other aged 37 born Windhill Idle Yorkshire
N.B. This entry crossed out.
- Ann Deighton Murgatroyd Daur aged 14 Annuitant born Windhill Yorkshire
- Emily Parker Murgatroyd Daur aged 12 Annuitant born Windhill Yorkshire
- Arthur Haley Murgatroyd Son aged 10 Annuitant born Windhill Yorkshire
- Alice Mary Murgatroyd Daur aged 8 Annuitant born Windhill Yorkshire
Also in the 1881 census[RG11/4229 Folio: 10, Page: 14] is a record at 33 & 34 Lower Green, Baildon of:
- Harry A Murgatroyd Visitor Widr aged 37 Auctioneer born Yorkshire Windhill
In the 1891 census[RG12/3653 Folio: 78, Page: 14] at 126 & 128 Briggate Idle Windhill are recorded:
- Henry A Murgatroyd Head Widr aged 47 Broker Yorkshire, Windhill
- Ann D Murgatroyd Daur Single aged 24 Dress Maker Yorkshire, Windhill
- Emily P Murgatroyd Daur Single aged 22 Yorkshire, Windhill
- Arthur H Murgatroyd Son Single aged 19 Clerk in Daily Paper Yorkshire, Windhill
- Alice M Murgatroyd Daur Single aged 17 Pupil Teacher Yorkshire, Shipley
- Nanny Murgatroyd Mother Wid aged 72 Yorkshire, Windhill
Henry Albert Murgatroyd with second wife?
Henry Albert married a second time in 1897Q2 [1897Q2 N Bierley Vol: 9b, Page: 322]
to Mary Glover-Hudson(1844-??)
the widow of John Hudson. Thus when his daughter married her son a few
months later, the complicated relationship caused much gossip and Alice Mary and John
Hudson subsequently emigrated to Australia.
In the 1901 England Census[RG13/4264 Folio: 84, Page: 42] at Eastthorpe there are recorded:
- Henry A Murgatroyd Head Mar Aged 57 Grocer Calverley, Yorkshire
- Mary Murgatroyd Wife Mar aged 57 Calverley, Yorkshire
- Emily (Parker) Murgatroyd Daur Single aged 32 Calverley, Yorkshire
- Mary E Hudson Stepdaughter Single aged 13 Calverley, Yorkshire
- N.B. No mention of John(Jack) Hudson husband of Alice M (below)
- Alice M Murgatroyd-Hudson Stepdaughter Mar aged 27 Shipley, Yorkshire
- Klondy Hudson Grandson aged 2 Guiseley, Yorkshire
- Willie Hudson Grandson aged 7months Harrogate, Yorkshire
In the 1911 census [RG14PN26654 Rg78PN1536 RD497 SD7 ED11 SN357] at 82 Charnwood Road Eccleshill there resided:
- Henry Albert Murgatroyd Head Mar age 67 Retired Grocers born Windhill Calverly
- Mary Murgatroyd Wife married 14yrs age 67 born Thackley Calverly
Henry Albert Murgatroyd died at Eccleshill, West Yorkshire on 18th September 1918.
His parents were John Murgatroyd (1817-1878) and
Ann Parker-Murgatroyd (1818-1897).