Robert Rigg (1818-1891+)
Robert Rigg was born on 8 April 1818 and christened with his brother Henry on 20 Aug 1826
at ???. His father was recorded as a Labourer living at Gt Suffolk Street.
As a bachelor aged 27 he married
Caroline Snarr (c1823-1881+) a spinster aged 24
at St George the Martyr, Southwark on 1 March 1847
[St Georges, Southwark, 1847Q1 Vol 4, Page 366].
At the time of the marriage their address was given as Adams Place. The witnesses were
not family of either bride or groom.
His parents were
John Rigg (senior)(c1768?-??), a hairdresser, and Mary Jacob.
Her father was William Snarr, also a hairdresser, and his (so far) unidentified wife.
They had children (Birth Index from BMD is included - not confirmed correct) including:
- Caroline Rigg(1848-??) probably [1848Q1 St Saviour Vol: 4, Page: 553]
- Robert Rigg(c1850-??) possibly [1849Q4 St Geo, Soutwark Vol: 4, Page: 465]
- Charles Rigg(1851-??) probably [1851Q2 St Geo, Southwark Vol: 4, Page: 494]
- James Rigg(1852-??) probably [1852Q3 St Geo, Surrey Vol: 1d, Page: 101]
- John Rigg(1854-1859) probably [1854Q2 Newington Vol: 1d, Page: 201?]
- Eliza Rigg(1858-1883) [1858Q1 St Geo, Surrey Vol: 1d, Page: 101?]
- (Mary) Ann Rigg(1861-??) probably [1861Q2 St Geo Southwark Vol: 1d, Page: 147]
In the 1851 Census[HO107/1563 Folio: 488, Page: 2]
(St George the Martyr Pt 1) living at 3 Pitt Street, Southwark
They had neighbours at 11 Pitt Street Southwark[HO107/1563 Folio: 490, Page: 7]
N.B. This is incorrectly indexed as "Bigg"
- Robert Rigg Head aged 32 Tailor born Southwark
- Caroline Snarr-Rigg Wife aged 27 born Southwark
- Caroline Rigg Daughter aged 3 born Southwark
- Robert Rigg Son aged 1 born Southwark
- Charles Rigg Son aged 1month born Southwark
- Emma Snarr Wife's sister aged 19 Servant born Southwark
- William Rigg (1808-??)
Head age 43 Shoemaker born London
- Louisa Clark-Rigg Wife age 35 Shoebinder born Bucks High Wycombe
- Eliza daur age 13 Shoebinder born Surrey Southwark [1839Q1 Southwark Vol: 4, Page: 139]
- William son age 12 Shoebinder+scholar born Surrey Southwark [1840Q3 Southwark Vol: 4, Page: 589]
- John son age 5 scholar born Surrey Southwark
- Robert son age 4 scholar born Surrey Southwark
- Louisa daur age 2 born Surrey Southwark
- James son age 1 born Surrey Southwark
We believe William Rigg to have been a brother to James Rigg(1816-1883) and both
of them sons of John Rigg(1763-1820?)?
In the 1861 Census[RG9/330 Folio: 137, Page: 13] living at 2 Goldsmiths Place, Southwark,
and in addition there was:
John Rigg(1854-1859) who died aged 5 of Diphtheria at 1 Rodney Street
- Robert Rigg Head aged 42 Journeyman Taylor working at home born Southwark, Surrey
- Caroline Rigg Wife aged 39 born Southwark, Surrey
- Caroline Daughter aged 12 born Southwark, Surrey
- Robert Son aged 11 born Southwark, Surrey
- Charles Son aged 10 born Southwark, Surrey
- James Son aged 9 born Southwark, Surrey
Eliza Rigg aged 3 who became the first wife of Alexander William Rigg (1854-1925) and
the mother of
Lilie Rigg (1882-1955).
- (Mary) Ann Rigg Daur age 2days born 7 Apr 1861 born Southwark, Surrey
In the 1871 census [RG10/663 Folio: 35, Page: 26] at 7 Brook St Lambeth there were recorded:
- Robert Riggs Head Mar age 53 Tailor born Surrey Southwark
- Caroline Riggs Wife age 47 born Surrey Southwark
- Robert Riggs Son Unm age 21 Bricklayers Labourer born Surrey Southwark
- James Riggs Son Unm age 18 Bricklayers Labourer born Surrey Southwark
- Eliza Riggs Daur age 13 born Surrey Southwark
In the 1881 census[RG11/554 Folio: 5, Page: 4] living at 11 Deacon St Newington, Surrey were:
- Robert Rigg Head aged 62 Tailor born Southwark, Surrey, England
- Caroline Rigg Wife aged 57 born Southwark, Surrey, England
In the 1891 census[RG12/352 Folio: 69, Page: 6] at Hughes Place, 6 Newington Causeway, West Newington, London.
- Robert Rigg Head aged 72 Tailor born London
- Caroline Snarr-Rigg Wife aged 67 born London
In 1892 two records have been found which may be of the death of the couple:
Robert Rigg born 1819 died aged 73 1892Q1 at St Saviour Vol: 1d, Page: 55
Caroline Rigg born 1824 died aged 66 1892Q1 at St Saviour Vol: 1d, Page: 63
Robert Rigg was the uncle and father-in-law of my great-grandfather.