Annie Ross-Gevaux-Thompson (1859-1935)
Annie Ross was born at 2 White Horse Lane, Mile End Old Town on 8th October 1859
[1959Q4 Mile End Old Town Vol: 1c, Page: 568]
and died aged 76 on 15/10/1935, Bancroft Lodge, Bancroft Rd, Stepney
[1935Q1 Camberwell Vol: 1d, Page: 715]. The informant was her son Robert Charles Gevaux.
In the 1861 census [RG9/296 Folio: 99, Page: 25] at Mile End Old Town there resided:
- Benjamin Ross Head Mar age 29 Locksmith born Middx Stepney
- Anna Ross Wife aged 26 born Bethnal Green
- Ann Ross Daughter age 1 born Middx Stepney
In the 1871 census [RG10/550 Folio: 50, Page: 4] at St Anne Limehouse there resided:
- Benjamin Ross head Mar age 41 Stove & Range Maker born Limehouse Middx
- Ann Ross Wife age 36 born Bethnal Green Middx
- Ann Ross Daur age 11 born Stepney Middx
- Thomas Ross Son age 9 born Stepney Middx
- Susannah Ross Daur age 7 born Stepney Middx
- Benjamin Ross Son age 4 born Stepney Middx
- Elizabeth Ross Daur age 2 born Stepney Middx
- John Ross Son age 6m born Limehouse Middx
In the 1881 census [RG11/485 Folio: 93, Page: 15] at 2 Bow Common Lane, Mile End Old Town there resided:
- Benjamin Ross head Mar age 50 Stove Range Maker No 21B born Middx Stepney
- Ann Ross Wife age 46 born Middx Bethnal Green
- Ann Ross Daur Unm age 21 Dress Finisher born Middx Stepney
- Thomas Ross Son age 19 Packer born Middx Stepney
- Susannah Ross Daur age 17 Dress Finisher born Middx Stepney
- Benjamin Ross Son age 14 Van Boy born Middx Stepney
- Elizabeth Ross Daur age 12 Scholar born Middx Stepney
- John Ross Son age 10 Scholar born Middx Limehouse
- Julia Ross Daur age 5 Scholar born Middx Limehouse
- Hannah Ross Daur age 5 Scholar born Middx Limehouse
Joseph Gevaux (c1851-??) at St Peter Stepney on 30th July 1881 [1881Q3 Mile End Vol:1c Page:869].
The fathers were Joseph Gevaux a Floor Cloth Manufacturer and Benjamin Ross a Stove Range maker.
The witnesses were Francis Gevaux and Susannah Ross.
Joseph Alfred Gevaux was a widower and had a son Joseph A. [1873Q4 Mile End Old Town Vol: 1c, Page: 533]
from a previous marriage [1872Q1 Bethnal Green Vol:1c, Page: 553].
They had children including:
- (Benjamin) Alfred Gevaux(1886-??) born [1886Q3 Bethnal Green Vol: 1c, Page: 166]
- Susanne Beatrice Gevaux(1887-??) born [1887Q4 Poplar Vol: 1c, Page: 596]
- John Robert Gevaux(1889-1958) born [1889Q3 Poplar Vol: 1c, Page: 600]
- Robert Charles Gevaux(1891-1962) born [1891Q4 Poplar Vol: 1c, Page: 585]
In the 1891 census [RG12/323 Folio: 41, Page: 19] at 97 Bow Common Lane there resided:
- Joseph A Gevaux Head Mar age 39 General Labourer born "Dont Know" crossed out and replaced by "Bromley"
- Annie Gevaux Wife age 31 born London Stepney
- Joseph A J Gevaux Son age 17 Railway worker born London Mile End
- Benjamin A Gevaux Son age 5 Scholar born London Bethnal Green
- Susanna B Gevaux Daur age 3 born London Bromley
- John R Gevaux Son age 2 born London Bromley
- Benjamin Ross head Mar age 58 Stove Range Maker No 21B born London Stepney
- Ann Ross Wife age 56 born London Stepney
- Elizabeth Ross Daur age 22 General Servant Domestic born London Stepney
- John Ross Son age 20 Fish Porter born London Bromley
- Julia Ross Daur age 15 Seamstres Shirt born London Bromley
- Hannah Ross Daur age 12 Scholar born London Bromley
Joseph Gevaux died in 1893Q2 [Camberwell Vol: 1d, Page: 521]. Annie Gevaux, a widow
aged 38, married in Stepney on 14th May 1899
John William Thompson (himself a widower).
They had one daughter
Charlotte(Lottie) Thompson (1900?-??)
Lottie later taught my Father the piano and they sometimes played the piano together.
She would have been his aunt
In the 1901 census[RG13/318; Folio: 141; Page: 11] the following are recorded at 1 Stepney Causeway, London:
- John W Thompson Head age 48 Engine Fitter born:Stepney
- Annie Thompson Wife age 41 born:Stepney
- George Thompson Son age 23 Stove Fitter born:Shadwell
- Margaret Thompson Daughter age 20 Book sewer Binder born:Ratcliff
- Alfred Thompson Son age 14 Errand Boy born:Ratcliff
- Charlotte Julia Thompson Daug age 1 born:Ratcliff
- Benjamin Gevaux Stepson age 15 Shop boy Port born:Bethnall Green
- Robert Gevaux Stepson age 9 born:Bromley by Bow
Ann Ross' parents were
Benjamin Ross (1832-??) and Ann Mason(1835-??) who were married in 1857
[1857Q1 Stepney Vol: 1c, Page: 774]. The parents of
Joseph Gevaux(c1851-??) were Joseph Gevaux(1824-1893) and Eliza Playdell-Gevaux(1827-1898)
who were married in 1847 [1847Q4 Bethnal Green Vol: 2, Page: 6].
Annie Ross-Gevaux-Thompson was my grandmother's step-mother.