Margaret Jane Thompson-Green (1881-??)
Margaret Jane Thompson was born in 1881 [1881Q1 Stepney Vol: 1e, Page: 480] in Stepney.
James Frederick Green (1866-??) - a widower - at St Columbas church
Wanstead on 12th September 1914 [1914Q3 West Ham Vol: 4a, Page: 548] both giving the address
10 Arundel Road Wanstead. His father James Frederick Green was already deceased.
The witnesses were her father and A W Green (possibly a brother?).
They had a son Reginald J (Reggie) Green(1918-??)
seen in the photo below and possibly a daughter.
Jim Green had been married before and had children from his first marriage. He
worked for the Metropolitan Water Board. The family is believed to have lived at
57 Grove Road, Walthamstow, London. Margaret Jane Green and her son Reggie almost
certainly appear in the first group photo of the 1937 wedding of
In the 1881 census [RG11/464; Folio: 81; Page: 1] at 28 Collingwood Street Middx, the family comprised:
- John W Thompson aged 28 Engine fitter 'E & M' born Stepney
- Margaret Thompson aged 29 born Woolwich, Kent
- John William Thompson aged 6 born Stepney Scholar born Middx Stepney
- George Edward Thompson aged 3 Scholar born Middx Stepney
- Margaret Jane Thompson aged 2months born Middx Stepney
In the 1891 census [RG12/293; Folio 94; Page 2] at 15 Collingwood Street Ratcliff, London, the family comprised:
- John Thompson Head aged 38 Engine fitter 'F & T' (fitter and turner) born London Stepney
- Margaret Thompson Wife aged 41 born Kent Woolwich
- John Thompson Son aged 16 Engineer's apprentice ' E & M' (Eastern and Midland Railway)
- George Thompson Son aged 13 errand boy born London Ratcliff
- Margaret Thompson Daughter aged 10 scholar born London Ratcliff
- Harriet Thompson Daughter aged 7 scholar born London Ratcliff
- Alfred Thompson Son aged 4 scholar born London Ratcliff
The 1901 census [RG13/318; Folio: 141; Page: 11] at 1 Stepney Causeway, Ratcliff Stepney shows
- John William Thompson aged 48 Engine Fitter born London Stepney
- his second wife Annie Gevaux aged 41 born London Stepney
- John William Thompson who would be 26 and is missing/ left home?;
- George Thompson Son aged 23 Stove Fitter born London Shadwell
- Margaret Thompson Daur aged 20 Book Sewer Binder born London Ratcliff
- Harriet Thompson Daur (my grandmother) aged 17 Book Sewer Binder born London Ratcliff
- Alfred Thompson Son aged 14 Errand Boy Post born London Ratcliff,
who was married, had a daughter Kitty with whom my father was friendly.
- Benjamin Gevaux step-son age 15 Shop boy Post born London Bethnal Green
- Robert Gevaux step-son age 9 born London Bromley by Bow
- half-sister Charlotte Julia Thompson (Lottie) Daur aged 1 born London Ratcliff
- believed to have married late (c1930-1935?).
In the 1911 census at 9 York Square Stepney there are recorded:
- John William Thompson Head Mar age 59 Engineers fitter born Stepney
- Ann Thompson Wife age 51 born Stepney
- Margaret Jane Thompson Daur age 30 Book Sewer born Ratcliff
- Harriet Thompson Daur age 27 Book Sewer born Ratcliff
- Alfred Thomas Thompson Son age 24 Tin plate worker born Ratcliff
- Charlotte Julia Thompson Daur age 11 school born Ratcliff
- Robert Charles Gevaux Stepson age 19 Carpenters Mate born Bromley by Bow
Margaret Jane Thompson's parents were
John William Thompson and
Margaret Eleanor Allcock.
Margaret Jane Thompson was my grandmother's sister.