Mary Ann Glover was christened on 7th April 1816 Idle, Yorkshire, England to parents William
Watmough and Mary.
Mary Watmough a spinster aged 19 she married
John Hudson (c1844-??)
a bachelor aged 20 on 4th July 1863 at Calverley Parish Church
[1863Q3 Bradford Vol: 9b, Page: 149]. The fathers were William Hudson a Cordwainer and
John Watmough a Cabinet Maker. The witnesses were William Ackroyd and Mary Watmough.
John Hudson was christened at Shipley, Yorkshire on 24th December 1843 to parents
William Hudson and Elizabeth [IGI batch no. C108141].
They had children including:
- Edwin Hudson(1867-??) born 3rd March 1867 at Hudson Fold Shipley, Yorkshire
[1867Q1 Bradford Vol: 9b, Page: 191] to parents John Hudson a Stuff merchants Clerk and
Mary Hudson formerly Watmough.
- William Hudson(1869-??)
- Arthur Hudson(1871-??) born 20th December 1870 at Hudson Fold Shipley, Yorkshire
[1871Q1 Bradford Vol: 9b, Page: 211] to parents John Hudson a Cashier and
Mary Hudson formerly Watmough.
John (Jack) Hudson (1875-??)
- Charles Hudson(1878-??)
In the 1841 census[HO107/1298 Book: 6, Page: 1] at New Road Idle Yorkshire there resided:
- John Watmough age 26 Joiner of this County
- Marian Watmough age 25 of this County
- William Watmough age 5 of this County
- Sarah Watmough age 2 of this County
In the 1851 census[HO107/2312 Folio: 359, Page: 26] at Thackley, Idle Yorkshire there resided:
- John Watmough Head Mar age 36 Joiner/ Master employing 1 man born Yorkshire Hawksworth
- Margaret Watmough Wife age 35 born Yorkshire Idle
- William Watmough Son age 15 Joiner born Yorkshire Idle
- Sarah Watmough Daur age 12 scholar born Yorkshire Idle
- Mary Watmough Daur age 7 scholar born Yorkshire Idle
In the 1861 census[RG9/3342 Folio: 38, Page: 28] at Shack by Lane End, Idle Yorkshire there resided:
- John Watmough Head Mar age 46 Joiner & Cabinet maker employing 6 men and 4 boys born Yorkshire Hawksworth
- Mary A Watmough Wife age 44 born Yorkshire Idle
- Mary Watmough Daur age 17 French Polisher born Yorkshire Idle
- Joshua Glover Bro in law age 50 Agricultural Labourer born Yorkshire Idle - christened 7th January
1810 Idle, Yorkshire, England; parent William Glover and ??.
In the 1871 census[RG10/4498 Folio: 21, Page: 5] at 11 Hudson Fold Shipley are recorded:
- John Hudson Head Mar age 27 Cashier born Yorkshire Shipley
- Mary Hudson Wife age 27 born Yorkshire Shipley
- Edwin Hudson Son age 4 born Yorkshire Shipley
- William Hudson Son age 2 born Yorkshire Shipley
- Arthur Hudson Son age 3m born Yorkshire Shipley
- Elizabeth Hudson Mother Wid age 65 Annuitant born Yorkshire Shipley
- Ann Garrett Serv age 13 Nurse born Yorkshire Benn Brow?
In the 1881 census[RG11/4477 Folio: 123, Page: 15] at 9 Dawson St. Leeds Rd Idle Yorkshire are recorded:
- John Hudson Head Mar age 37 Stuff Warehouse Clerk born Yorkshire Shipley
- Mary Hudson Wife age 37 born Yorkshire Shipley
- Edwin Hudson Son age 14 born Yorkshire Idle
- William Hudson Son age 12 scholar born Yorkshire Shipley
- Arthur Hudson Son age 10 scholar born Yorkshire Shipley
- John Hudson Son age 6 scholar born Yorkshire Shipley
- Charles Hudson Son age 3 born Yorkshire Idle
The record of the death of John Hudson is still to be identified.
In the 1891 census[RG12/3652 Folio: 62, Page: 22] at 14 Dawson St Idle Yorkshire are recorded:
- Mary Hudson Wid age 47 born Yorkshire Thuckley?
- Arthur Hudson Son age 26 Packer in Woollen Manufacturing born Yorkshire Shipley
- Edwin Hudson Son age 24 Cabinet Maker born Yorkshire Shipley
- Charles Hudson Son age 16 Plasterers apprentice born Yorkshire Thuckley?
- George Hudson Son age 9 born Yorkshire Thuckley?
- Mary Elizabeth Hudson Daur age 3 born Yorkshire Idle
Henry Albert Murgatroyd with Mary Hudson?
Mary Hudson the widow of John Hudson married a second time in 1897Q2 [1897Q2 N Bierley Vol: 9b, Page: 322]
Henry Albert Murgatroyd (1844-1918). Thus when his daughter married her son a few
months later, the complicated relationship caused much gossip and Alice Mary and John
Hudson subsequently emigrated to Australia.
In the 1901 England Census[RG13/4264 Folio: , Page: ] at Eastthorpe there are recorded:
- Henry A Murgatroyd Head Mar Aged 57 Grocer Calverley, Yorkshire
- Mary Murgatroyd Wife Mar aged 57 Calverley, Yorkshire
- Emily (Parker) Murgatroyd Daur Single aged 32 Calverley, Yorkshire
- Mary E Hudson Stepdaughter Single aged 13 Calverley, Yorkshire
- N.B. No mention of John(Jack) Hudson husband of Alice M (below)
- Alice M Murgatroyd-Hudson Stepdaughter Mar aged 27 Shipley, Yorkshire
- Klondy Hudson Grandson aged 2 Guiseley, Yorkshire
- Willie Hudson Grandson aged 7months Harrogate, Yorkshire
Henry Albert Murgatroyd died at Eccleshill, West Yorkshire on 18th September 1918.
His parents were John Murgatroyd (1817-1878) and
Ann Parker-Murgatroyd (1818-1897).
Mary Watmough-Hudson's parents were
Mary Ann Glover-Watmough(1816-??)
who were married on 2nd February 1835 at Guiseley, Yorkshire, England.