Almira/Elmina Wright-Clarke (1872-??)
Almira/Elmina Wright-Clarke (1872-??) was born on 26th October 1872 at 4 Ann Street,
St George in the East, but the birth was not registered until 6th December 1872.
On the birth registration no father is given. Her name has been spelled differently
throughout her life including as Almira, Elmina, and Elmvira. She was known by her nephews
as Aunt Myra.
Her mother's name at birth is given as Amelia Wright a Machinist.
They had the following children:
- Emily Elmira Clarke(1898-??)
- Jennie Amelia (1907-??)
In the 1881 census [RG11/0456-100 Page Number:17] she was living with her grand-parents
at 6 Ann Street Census Place London, Middlesex, England and mother. They were recorded as:
- John Wright Head aged 53 born Whitechapel, Middx, England General Labourer
- Amelia Wright Wife aged 55 born Wapping, Middx, England
- Elmvia Wright G.Dr aged 8 born St Georges East, Middx, England
- James Rigg Head aged 34 born St Georges East, Middx, England Printers Compositor
- Amelia Rigg Wife aged 27 born Stepney, Middx, England
- Amelia C. Rigg Daur aged 5 born St Georges East, Middx, England
- John J. Rigg Son aged 3 born Stepney, Middx, England
- Thomas A. Rigg Son aged 2 born St Georges East, Middx, England
In the 1891 census at 6 Tillman St, St George [RG12/288] were included:
- John Wright Head Mar aged 65 General Labourer born Lambeth
- Amelia Wright Wife aged 66 born Katherines London
- Elmvina Wright G Daur aged 18 Waistcoat maker born St George
- James Riggs(sic) Head Mar aged 44 Printer Compositor born St George
- Amelia Riggs Wife aged 36 born Stepney
- John Riggs Son age 18 Worker in Tobacco Factory born Stepney
- Amelia Riggs Daugh aged 16 born St George
- Thomas A Riggs Son aged 12 scholar born St George
- James E Riggs Son aged 8 Scholar born Sr George London
- Jane E Riggs Daur aged 6 Scholar born Sr George London
- Arthur Geo Riggs Son aged 4 Scholar born Sr George London
- Sarah Riggs Daur aged 2 born Sr George London
Elmina Wright married Frederick Clarke on 24th March 1895 at St Thomas' Church, Stepney.
The fathers were given as Benjamin Clark a Warehouseman, and John Wright a Gun Maker.
The witnesses were J. Rigg and A.C. Rigg.
In the 1901 census the family is recorded at 18 Bermuda Street, Mile End Old Town
and the family comprised:
and at 125 Jamaica Street, Mile End Old Town, Stepney [RG13/330]:
- James Rigg Head age53 Compositor born London St Georges East
- Amelia Rigg Wife age46 born London Stepney
- Amelia Rigg Daug age25 Tobacco worker born London St Georges East
- Thomas Rigg Son age21 Printers labourer born London St Georges East
- James Rigg Son age18 Coal cutter born London St Georges East
- Jane Rigg Daug age16 Tobacco worker born London St Georges East
- Arthur Rigg Son age14 born London St Georges East
- Sarah Rigg Daug age12 born London Stepney
- Frederick Rigg Son age6 born London Stepney
- Alfred Rigg Son age3 born London Stepney
- Frederick Clark Head Mar aged 30 Clerk born St George
- Elmvia Clark Wife aged 28 born St George
- Emily Clark Daur aged 3 born Stepney
- Amelia Wright Head Widow aged 77 born St George
In the 1911 census at 14 Sidney Street, Stepney there resided:
- Frederick Clarke Head age 40 born London St George
- Emira Clarke Wife age 38 born London St George
- Emily Elmira Clarke Daur age 13 born London, Stepney
- Jennie Amelia Daur age 4 born London, Stepney
Her mother Amelia Wright died a widow aged 72 on 5th October 1925 at 18 Bermuda Street.
The death was certified by her daughter Elmina Clarke (née Wright) of 26 Exmouth Street Mile End Old Town,
who was present at the death.
Her parents were father unknown and
Amelia Wright-Rigg (1852-1925).